I’m excited that PHP 7.0.0 Alpha 1 has finally been released.
- Improved performance: PHP 7 is up to twice as fast as PHP 5.6
- Consistent 64-bit support
- Many fatal errors are now Exceptions
- Removal of old and unsupported SAPIs and extensions
- The null coalescing operator (??)
- Combined comparison Operator (<=>)
- Scalar Type Declarations
- Anonymous Classes
As long time developer, I am so glad that they have made these improvements. I downloaded it from the Windows QA binaries section to give it a test and so far I haven’t found any problems. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get my custom version of my forum service to run on it because I forgot that the old MySQL functions are removed in that version (as they should be) but I was able to catch and fix some other problems. I can’t wait until I can finally make use of it sometime in the future.
Note that the binaries they have posted at this time, if you’re on Windows 8.1, seem to only work with the x86 redistributable binaries. I installed the x64 version only to be greeted with “vcruntime140.dll is missing.” This confused me for a bit… I reinstalled and rebooted to no avail. Only after installing the x86 version did it run. Ah, it’s 2015 and DLL hell still exists. 🙂